Mi Viaje

This blog will detail my South American adventure in Peru this summer from June 22 - July 27! For the first four weeks, I will be living in Piura at a community parish, Sacramento Santisimo, with 9 other students while completing my Community Health Nursing Clinical. For my final week abroad, I will travel to the Cusco region to hike along the Inca Trail to see one of the 7 Wonders of the World - Machu Picchu. I am extremely excited for this life-changing experience and look forward to sharing it with you!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

La Colegia San Ignacio Loyola


We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend. ---Robert Louis Stevenson


This morning we were invited for a tour of La Colegia San Ignacio Loyola, a private all-boys school in Piura.  We were told that this school is the second most expensive in Piura; however, the boys receive an education that sets them up to go to school at the University once they graduate.  A few “seniors,” as we would call them in the U.S., also accompanied us on the tour.  I really enjoyed learning about the education system here in Peru from Emanuel – who will graduate from la colegia in December – as I helped him practice his English.  Students go to school from 5 to 16 years old; this includes primary school for 5 years and then secondary school for 6 years.  If a student wants to go to the university, he or she must take an entrance exam, and their score determines what profession or major they can pursue.  Emanuel was an extremely motivated, bright student; he told me that his goal to go to school to be a doctor or an engineer, and he is taking a prep class to prepare him for his entrance exam.  Overall, la colegio was extremely nice, and it seemed as though the boys were very happy there, while getting an excellent education. Unfortunately, the majority of Peruvians are not quite as lucky.  On our way back to the parish, we witnessed the strike that is currently going on with the public teachers in Piura.  As a result, children that are getting a public education are out of school indefinitely.






Emanuel y yo!
Mi cinturón - making sure I didn't fall off the truck & die <3

Teacher's strike



In the afternoon, we went to La Iglesia de Santa Lucia to teach bible school.  We ended up helping the children color bible story pictures, make rosary necklaces, and play games, while another group went outside with the kids’ mothers to play volleyball.  I really enjoyed getting to know María and Alejandro who who chatted with me the whole time, despite my broken Spanish! María told me about 20 times that she would find me at mass tomorrow night, so I’m really hoping I get to see her again soon. :) 

María, Alejandro, y Michael!



After church and dinner this evening, a mariachi band came in honor of two of the girls’ birthdays in the first session of nursing students.  We had an absolute blast dancing and passing around los sombreros!



Beethoven is quite the dancer.


Con cariño,
<3 LIsa

No comments:

Post a Comment