Mi Viaje

This blog will detail my South American adventure in Peru this summer from June 22 - July 27! For the first four weeks, I will be living in Piura at a community parish, Sacramento Santisimo, with 9 other students while completing my Community Health Nursing Clinical. For my final week abroad, I will travel to the Cusco region to hike along the Inca Trail to see one of the 7 Wonders of the World - Machu Picchu. I am extremely excited for this life-changing experience and look forward to sharing it with you!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Packing Day


"Excess baggage is a symptom of something we are missing on the inside - a fear that we won't be accepted for what we are, as if our selves are not enough. We bring too much of our past experience, the clutter of our emotions. These things get in the way and keep us from getting close to others. Then we are left w/ the task of having to find someone else to carry it, whether it is our luggage or our loneliness." - Mary Morris



I suppose I can’t avoid it any longer...well, maybe I can, seeing as I am currently on my computer with my suitcase lying half empty on the floor.  Probably my least favorite part about traveling is deciding what and how to pack.  What will I absolutely need?  How much money should I bring?  Am I prepared for the weather?  It’s actually winter in Peru.  So of course I made sure to pack shorts, t-shirts, and a light jacket.  I was really tempted to bring my Wisconsin-essential snow boots; however, I ended up deciding against it since the weather should still be in the 70-80s during the day. Not to mention the yearly average of 2 inches of precipitation.  

And then there are the additional unknowns regarding this trip specifically.  Did I bring enough bed bug spray? The first session of students notified us that this may be a problem, and advised us to bring extra spray and sheets to sleep on. Apparently, their first bottle ran out before the end of the first day.   Are my skirts long enough? The priest of the parish we are staying at is very conservative, so we need to be respectful in wearing long skirts, shorts, and high-cut tops – especially during daily mass.   Is my bag under 40 lbs? It sound like a lot, but my suitcase was practically full just with my personal items and medical supplies!

When it came to shopping for clothing I decided to hit up some thrift stores, at the recommendation of one of my fellow classmates.  This was particularly exciting because for the first time, we get to wear non-Marquette scrubs!  I made trips to Good Will, The Salvation Army, and Value Village in search of good deals and colorful fabrics.  I was thrilled to find some of both, and will definitely be frequenting these stores more often.  One man’s trash, really can be another man (or woman’s) treasure – especially my scrub top with bears all over it.   I am most proud of my Value Village purchase: Scrub top & bottoms, 1 pairs of kahki pants, 1 pair of capris, and 3 long skirts all for a grand total of.....$12.41!  My mother, who refused to buy something unless it was “on sale,” would be extremely proud! 

I’m also taking along with me just a few other special items.  I got a stellar new Sony camera for my birthday (Thanks Dad!), so that I can take plenty of pictures to share with you the moments in which my words simply can’t do justice and keep them memories of my experiences.  Although I can’t promise anything spectacular, I really love the art of photography. If anyone knows of any good classes that are offered, let me know and let’s take one together. :)  I also have safely packed in my carry-on a small nursing angel pin that was blessed, a parting gift from a close family friend who is a nurse practitioner and is one of the people that inspired me to pursue nursing.  I promised that I would wear it at all times to help keep me safe.

Finally, as a last minute addition to my packing list, I have a large bag full of Marquette t-shirts and sweatshirts for the parish nurses and our adopted Peruvian family – Alex, Erika, Christian, Kiara, and Jessica.  Yesterday I met up with a Marquette alum, Jessica, who went on the Peru trip a couple years ago.  She expressed how jealous she was that I was going on the trip, and said she is hoping to make it back to Peru sometime in the future.  In addition to the bag of clothing, she also sent with me a couple hand-written cards to deliver and $200 for us to use to help buy nuestra familia any thing that they may need.  Her generosity was incredibly moving, and I can hardly wait to meet these people that she unmistakably loves so much.

Overall, I’m feeling somewhat nervous, but moreso excited to begin my adventure tomorrow!  As a good friend of mine likes to say, “Life begins when you leave your comfort zone.” 

Buenas noches,
<3 Lisa

p.s. Here is a sample of la música peruviana I’ve been dancing to around my suitcase: Pan Pipe Flute; Street Musician

No comments:

Post a Comment